Several well-known photos of GAC, the Custer family, and others were taken in front of what was then the State Blind Asylum in 1865-66, where GAC made his headquarters during the few months he commanded Reconstruction forces in Austin. Subsequently the building was altered by addition of a third story, but it was removed and the building was restored to its original configuration during the 1970s. It now houses the University of Texas Visitor Center, and is located near the intersection of Martin Luther King King Blvd. (19th Street) and the frontage road to Interstate 35. The connection to Custer is not well-publicized, but Custer enthusiasts visiting our Capitol City who stop by will recognize it easily.
His troops camped along the banks of Shoal Creek, then outside the City, but now centrally located. Shoal Creek Blvd. parallels the watercourse and runs parallel to MoPac on west central part of the city, for anyone interested.