Fort Pierre, SD, is rich in history. The Verendrye brothers passed through in 1743, and chose it as the perfect site to stake their claim to the land for their king...a claim they confirmed by burying a lead plate atop a bluff overlooking the confluence of the Bad River and the Missouri. Lewis and Clark stopped here in 1804 and held a somewhat tense council with the Teton Sioux...the first of many such confrontations between the military and the Sioux, running in an unbroken line to LBH. Pierre Chouteau chose this place as the site for his eponymous fort...for many years, the center of the fur trade in the northern plains.
The latest distinction for our little corner of the world (besides being the home of yours truly, of course) is that it has just been named as one of the Top Ten True Western Towns of 2010 by True West magazine: